Thursday, September 15, 2011

Chickpea Tabbouleh Salad

My DH & I just love this salad.  Love love love!  It has everything you need in it, and it's so easy to just shove in a container and run out the door.

I'm all about simple meals, so I serve this as an entire meal (though I believe it's normally an appetizer).  My 2 sons are in a "I hate this" phase and are no longer obsessed about chick peas, so instead of serving this with toasted pita bread, I've started serving it with tortilla chips, which I only give out 3-5 at a time to bribe more bites of salad out of them.  My DD only 14 months, can't get enough of this salad - yay for one kid not complaining!

Here's my variation from the original recipe from Canadian Living.

Ingredients 

1 c. couscous (this is my variation - the original recipe calls for bulgur)
1 can drained and rinsed chickpea
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 c. diced English cucumbers
1 c. minced fresh Italian parsley
1/2 c. chopped green onions
1/4 c. chopped fresh mint

Dressing
1/4 c. lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

(Don't be too generous with your lemon juice - it can be very strong!)

Preparation:

In saucepan, bring 1-1/3 cups water to boil; stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until no liquid remains. Transfer to large bowl, fluffing with fork. Let cool to room temperature.
Add chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, onions and mint.

Dressing:
In small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt and pepper; pour over couscous mixture and toss to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment