Saturday, October 29, 2011

Out of the can, into the pan brown bean Chili

This is the easiest chili ever.  If you can fry beef and open a tin can, you my friend can make dinner!

My Aunt Mere is the originator of this recipe - hers has a bit more variety in beans so change it up if you got a love fest for beans.  Personally I think beans and lentils were put on the earth just to torture me so the lack of beans here makes me happy :)

First up : Ingredients

1 can of tomato sauce
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 can of brown beans in tomato sauce (don't get the pork or molasses)
1 lb of beef
1 onion
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
Corn - I used frozen because I had that but canned works too.
Seasonings - I dumped one pack of chili seasoning, a few teaspoons of the tupperware chipotle seasoning, a teaspoon of beef/steak spice, and some fresh ground pepper.



Method :

Throw the beef in a frying pan, while this is frying, chop up the onion.  

In a bigger pot dump in all the canned goods and corn. 

Look at that can opening madness!!
Beans beans the magical fruit, the more you eat the more you...
When beef is looking mostly cooked, drain off excess fat, and season the snot out of it - I didn't add the chipotle seasoning to the meat - I added that later.  Seasoning is 100% to your taste so go wild if that floats your boat.


When onions are softened up and translucent dump them in the pot of goods(aka the tomato etc.) and giver a stir.  Taste.  Add a bit more seasoning & brown sugar.  Stir.  Taste.  Let simmer while you heat up some buns and yell for your kids to come set the table.


We thrown sour cream, grated cheese, green onions, and french's fried onions on top.  We've also been known to toss some cooked rice into the bowl.  The occasional tortilla chip makes a crunchy topping too!

Now let's eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment